I sat in on Ho.lt Intern.ational's web seminar last night. I know there are so many children out there that need loving homes, so I was really surprised that it could take anywhere from 1.5-3 years to get the adoptions finalized. I have to say that I'm just too antsy about getting a child in my home to wait upwards of 2 years!! I'm just so torn. I think there's more of a guarantee with international adoption than with domestic because so many expectant moms back out of adoption plans after the baby is born and choose to parent, whereas with international most of the kiddos are already in orphanages. But the length of time international adoption takes is hard to swallow. I know domestic can take just as long if we're passed over numerous times...can y'all tell that I'm very impatient about this??? Should length of time play a part in our decision?
I really thought I wanted to adopt from Korea, but after seeing that it was the most expensive route of international adoption (through Ho.lt) I quickly started rethinking that decision. I know adoption in general is just so blasted expensive, but OMG!!!! I just couldn't get over the cost. It was a true eye opener. J and I are financially stable enough to handle adoption, but not without it stinging a bit. There are times when I get a little miffed about the financial strain that fertility treatments and adoption puts on couples like J and me (and many of you out there). I know that the cost will mean nothing once I get to hold our child in my arms, but right now I'm having a hard time visualizing that part of the journey right now for all the dollar signs that are standing in the way. Then I start to think about the expectant moms and the emotional and physical strain that adoption puts on them, and that makes me cry. I know they have it SOOOOO much tougher. It's just money to us. To them the choice between parenting and adoption is a life altering act. I just have so much respect for those ladies who are struggling with the decision to place their child up for adoption.
J and I have so much to think about. We have a seminar with Bea.con Hou.se here in BR on Monday night. I'm sure I'll be surprised with how much domestic adoption costs as well, but I have to keep reminding myself that money shouldn't matter in this instance!! I think this is one time when my budget-minded, engineer husband won't mind spending this much money.
Disclaimer: I hope I haven't offended anyone with my ramblings. If I have, I am so sorry. My heart truly is in the right place even though I sound like I'm more worried about cost and time tables than the kids. I just want a child in our home. I know that we will make good parents and we'd be able to give them a great life. We love kids so much!! I guess I just feel horrible for even worrying about money and time. I just want to be a MOM and I want to give a child a loving home to live in!!! I just wish our road to parenthood didn't have to be so damn bumpy!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




8 comments:
My husband and I used Catholic Charities as out "local partner" (home study), and Holt as our "international partner". We have been VERY pleased with both of them. I know how hard the wait is. And money is a huge struggle for us right now. If you would like to talk more feel free to get in touch with me.
JK,
Obviously I do not have experience in this area, but I do know several people that do and would love to talk to you about it. There is this one lady that I see at Rachel's baby ballet class and she has adopted three hispanic children. Two of them are sisters and they are 10 months apart. She adopted them through CPS. I know and she will tell you there are horror stories becasue of the drug addicted babies and the fetal alcohol babies, but she told CPS that she didn't want (I KNOW THAT SOUNDS TERRIBLE) those babies only because she didn't think she could handle "that" situation. She picked up both of her girls at the hospital, met the mother and all. (the mother is from Houston and they live here in Nederland) The mother already had 5 children and knew she couldn't take "proper" care of anymore. She had the first one and 10 months later she had the second. Both of her adoptions are now final. The girls are 3 (just barely) and almost 2. Just another thought. (as if you hadn't already, or didn't have enough to think about!)
BTW, thanks for the prayer for my feet! And getting to the gym is just a start and definitely a struggle....I HATE THE GYM!!!
:)
Ang
Hi! I just found your blog - the title definitely caught my eye!
I also have PCOS and was able to conceive after 15 months. It was a very random God thing and I don't know if it will ever happen to us again. We are now ready for baby number two. (Our son is 20 months and we haven't ever tried NOT to conceive, if you know what I mean.) So we are trying to decide if now is the right time to start the adoption process and, if so, what avenue we'll take. We are leaning toward an agency like the Sayers Center, through the Cradle. We've always planned to adopt, so our fertility issues have just sped those plans up a bit!
Anyway, I wanted to say hello and encourage you in your plans to adopt. The expense IS very frustrating, even with the $11,000+ tax credit. Although that isn't our primary reason for consider the Sayers Center, it is a huge plus.
Best of luck to you and may God bless your journey to parenthood, whether it is biologically or through adoption!
The only thing I've learned so far is that there is no right adoption path that fits everyone. You are so very smart to investigate all of your options before you consider what will be best for you. We were also worried about domestic infant adoption, but our fears were settled after talking with people who used our agency and will speaking with the social workers from the agency. I think that no matter which way you choose it will be a roller coaster with unexpected dips. After you check out all of your options your heart will tell you what is right for you.
ditto to Chris. And money & time tables are perfectly rational things to be annoyed with/concerned about.
I wish I could send all the people who say "just adopt" to these seminars so they can see what it's really like.
If only we could walk over to the local orphanage and just pick out a cute one, you know?
Just a suggestion (we plan to adopt next, so I've been researching it for forever). If you have the desire, I'd definitely consider special needs children (or waiting children), you can almost always get the process done faster and there are typically always funds donated on their behalf toward their adoption. Not all special needs children have severe needs, some are actually very small and easily correctable. I'm sure you know most of this already, though. Another (domestic) route is the foster to adopt program, but that comes with its own challenges.
I've been thinking of you. I know this is another long and bumpy road. But I'll always be here to support you guys.
No offense should ever be taken on what you have gone through and going through next... cost is an issue regardless b/c everyone should be able to have a child the normal way with no intervention or cost of conception... too bad we cannot legislate that one, b/c I would give them MY vote!
These are such difficult decisions, and practical concerns like cost are absolutely part of them. No shame in that.
Post a Comment