I haven't seen my best friend since our 10 year college reunion in November because she lives 7.5 hours away. We talk on the phone at least once a week, but sometimes that's just not enough. When I had my most recent miscarriage I just wanted to have her nearby. She called every day to check on me, but it's just not the same as having her with you to hug the hurt away. She didn't understand my pain because thankfully she's never had to endure the loss of a child, but somehow she knew just what to say. Anyway, she has family that lives about 2 hours away from me so while she, her daughter and her mom were visiting I drove down to see them yesterday. When I pulled up to her aunt's house her little girl came running down the driveway and gave me a huge hug like only a three and a half year old can. Hugs like that do a heart good because it means that she remembers me even after months of not seeing me.
When my best friend and I get together it's as though time has stood still. Guess that's why we're best friends. We're both teachers, we've been told we look alike (although neither of us think so), and we sound a lot alike. So much so that when our mother's would call our apartment in college they couldn't tell us apart. We loved playing tricks on them! (But that's for another time!) We're good for each other. We tell each other just how it is even if it hurts a little, and in doing so we've never had a fight. That's pretty odd for two female friends. I'm not saying we haven't been annoyed with each other from time to time, but in the end we know that the other has our back. What a blessing to have a friend that I can be so open and real with. We have a scrapbook of all of the special times we've shared. So every time we get together we find some time to update our scrapbook. And yesterday was no different. I have to say that it felt good to scrap again. It's good therapy for me. Yesterday's visit was so comforting. It made it seem like life was getting back to normal, a new normal. It gave me hope that with each passing day the hurt would lessen and I would once again see my life as purposeful.
Tuesday, March 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment